AUTOMOTIVE BODY SHOP TECHNICIAN APPRENTICE
Are you interested in joining a growing business that is committed to family, promotes employees from within, is Passionate about protecting the environment, has an inspiring company culture, and is actively involved with the community and local charities? If so, this opportunity might be for you!
THE POSITION: The Body Shop Technician is to assist and learn from Body Technicians in repairs on damaged body parts and bodies of vehicles in accordance with factory and dealership specifications using hand tools and power tools.
- Competitive Compensation
- Employee Referral Program
- Employee Discounts on Sales and Service
- Benefits Package (Medical, Dental, Vision, Employer Paid Life/AD&D, Employee Assistance Program, Pet Insurance)
- Voluntary Benefits (Flexing Spending Account, Life/AD&D, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability, Critical Illness, Accident Insurance, Legal & Identity Theft Protection)
- 401(k) and Employer Match
- Holiday Savings Program with Employer Match
- Paid Time Off
- Holiday Pay
Skills & Qualifications:
- 18+ years of age
- Ability to work Full-Time
- Have a desire to learn and advance to full body technician status.
Education and Experience:
- Some automotive collision repair experience or familiarity, especially in tear down or disassembly.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED).
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Examine damaged vehicle and assist in efficiently planning repair process
- Perform quality repairs
- Remove upholstery, accessories, electrical and hydraulic window and seat operating equipment and trim to gain access to vehicle body and fenders.
- Position dolly block against surface of dented area and beat opposite surface to remove dents, using hammer.
- Fill depressions with body filler, using putty knife.
- Remove damaged panels and grills using wrenches and cutting torch.
- Bolt or weld replacement parts in position using wrenches or welding equipment.
- Straighten damaged automobile frames using a pneumatic frame-straightening machine.
- File, grind and sand repaired surfaces using power tools and hand tools.
- Aim headlights, align wheels and bleed hydraulic brake system.
- Repair or replace defective mechanical parts.
- Follows direction of body technician and shop manager on various tasks and repair procedures.
- Paint surfaces after performing body repairs.
- Refinish repaired surface using paint spray gun and sander.
- Frequently required to stand; sit; use hands to handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and talk or hear.
- The employee is occasionally required to walk and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and peripheral vision.
Founded in 1980 by Michael Sr. and Maureen LaFontaine, the award-winning and nationally-recognized LaFontaine Automotive Group includes 54 retail franchises, 9 collision centers and 34 Michigan retail locations. The group employs nearly 2,500 individuals. It’s the mission of the LaFontaine Family to personalize the automotive experience by building lifelong relationships that connect families and strengthen communities. The LaFontaine commitment to customers, staff, and local communities is demonstrated by active participation and contributions to numerous non-profit organizations, educational institutions, and charities throughout southeast Michigan. The combination of both the mission and core values provides the basic foundation of our promise … to treat every customer like they are members of our family. From sales to service to parts, LaFontaine Automotive Group is able to meet any customer’s specific needs. LaFontaine represents the following brands: Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, Fiat, Genesis, Honda, Hyundai, Jeep, KIA, Lincoln, Mazda, RAM, Polestar, Subaru, Toyota, Volvo, and Volkswagen. The LaFontaine Family Deal; it’s not just what you get, it’s how you feel. Visit www.familydeal.com for additional details.
Our Mission: To Build Lifelong Relationships that Connect Families, Strengthen Communities, and Personalize the Automotive Experience.
Our Core Values: Accountability, Responsibility, Respect, Communication, Teamwork, Passion.
LaFontaine Automotive Group is an equal opportunity employer.