The Assistant Controller is responsible in supporting the Controller in carrying out his/her accounting operations. These duties include the maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records, a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk, and the production of periodic financial reports. The Assistant Controller will help enhance the accuracy of reported financial results and will also help ensure that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles. The ideal Assistant Controller candidate will have at least two years’ experience in a position of similar responsibility.
- Assisting the Controller in the direction of the accounting functions of an organization.
- Assisting the Controller in ensuring timeliness and accuracy of the financial statements
- Assisting in the company’s monthly and yearly closing.
- Completing special projects as required
- Ensure that internal controls are in place
- Manage and review account detail, schedules, journals, trial balance general ledgers, daily operating reports, and monthly recap documents
- Financial statement preparation and analysis
- Fix or report any issues, errors, or irregularities on a timely basis
- Work closely with General Manager and department managers to obtain the best financial results in all departments
- Review Account Reconciliations (bank, floor plan, accounts payable, accounts receivable, etc.)
- Observe rules of confidentiality as they relate to employee and customer information, both internally and in dealing with outside individuals and vendors.
- Effectively set priorities and monitor work assignments delegated to team members.
- Provide on-the-job training and cross training for team members.
- Use a variety of software tools used in the dealerships to manage inventory, service repair facilities, parts departments, etc.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable government finance regulations, including filing and/or maintaining of required licenses, forms, payroll taxes and deposits, income taxes, retirement plan records, etc.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting or Business Administration
- 6 or more year’s experience in accounting related activities with progressive responsibilities including staff leadership
- Experience working with closing multiple companies and the associated intercompany transactions
- Two years of progressively responsible experience for an automotive dealer preferred.
- Proficiency with ADP/CDK dealership software or comparable progressive accounting software
- Strong computer skills (DMS, Excel, Word). Previous payroll and accounts payable experience.
- Strong communications, customer service, leadership, and organizational skills.
- High level of accuracy and analytical ability.